Pages

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Developing The Portable Wargame: Latest update

Thanks to the feedback I have had from my small team of play-testers and proof-readers, work on DEVELOPING THE PORTABLE WARGAME continues apace, and with luck it should be ready for publication by the end of this month. Final checking and the need to finish one chapter – for which I have to borrow some figures – are the only things that I can foresee that will hold up this process.

At present the contents look like this:
  • Introduction
  • Pinning and Unpinning Units
  • The Two Kills Option
  • Army Lists, Balanced, and Unbalanced Forces
  • Big Board – and Small Board – Gridded Wargames
  • A few observations about Portable Wargame Rules: Ancients
  • Portable Wargame Rules: Ancients
  • Army Lists for The Portable Wargame: Ancient Army Lists
  • The Portable Wargame in Action: Some example from the Ancients Rules
  • A few observations about the Developed Portable Wargame Rules: Early and Mid Twentieth Century
  • Developed Portable Wargame Rules: Early and Mid Twentieth Century
  • Adding another dimension: Some thoughts about Air Combat Rules
  • Portable Wargame: Air Combat Rules
  • The Portable Wargame in Action: Some examples from the Air Combat Rules
  • Simple Mini-Campaigns
  • Scenarios
  • Bibliography
  • Endnotes

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      Although it has not always been an easy book to write, I have enjoyed putting it together as much as I did the last. Once it is finished, I have another couple of books to work on. One will be my PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME and the other will be a Masonic history.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Well done Bob, I'm in for a (hardback) copy!
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuart Asquith,

      It will be a pleasure to send you a copy.

      By the way, I've mentioned your recently republished (2014) SCENARIOS FOR ALL AGES book in both the text and the bibliography.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Looking good Bob.
    I read the bit about air combat and found myself looking at the conservatory ceiling and thinking about a steel bar grid on the inside. It would work with 1:72 and maybe 1:48 aircraft :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobby,

      My rules are definitely tabletop ones! I once contemplated trying to emulate Lionel Tarr's 'net above the table' system ... but the engineering that was required was beyond my meager capabilities.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. This is looking like a more substantial volume than the previous one, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      So far it is looking like being a few pages longer. I have pretty well finished the text, but need to add some photographs to some of the explanations of how the rules work.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.