Pages

Friday 28 April 2017

Open the box ...

Whilst I was at SALUTE2017, Ian Dury kindly gave me a box of model military vehicles to add to my Operation Barbarossa project collection. Most of them were 1:87th-scale ROCOs with a few diecasts.

Inside the box were:
  • Five German armoured half-tracks
  • One German amphibious VW Kubelwagen
  • One German King Tiger tank
  • One German Jadgtiger tank hunter
  • Five Russian IS-III tanks
  • Three American Sherman tanks
  • A German 155mm Field Howitzer
  • Five British Churchill tanks
  • Three German armoured cars
  • Two American armoured cars
  • Two American Tank Destroyers (with spare turrets)
  • An American M40 155mm self-propelled gun
  • A Russian T-34/85 tank
  • A German Pzkpfw IV tank (with spare turret)

This is a very useful addition to my current collection, and no doubt will form the backbone of several more units ... when I finally get around to making some progress on this project!

12 comments:

  1. It will of course depend on what your Barbarossa project definition is, but almost all the armour you list is post Barbarossa or in terms of the British or US armour not in Soviet service at the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage Wargaming,

      The project began as an Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War one, but I decided to try to start with Operation Barbarossa first, and then work my way forward so to speak. The later tanks will be used as the war (and project) progresses.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Any particular reason why the Russian IS-IIIs have their turrets facing backwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      That is purely to protect the very thin and flimsy barrels from getting broken. I may well replace them with something more robust in due course.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob - I hope you find them useful - I think I have a couple more primed die cast tanks somewhere that I will dig out for you
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian Dury,

      I will find these - and any others than you find - most useful.

      By the way, a small 'Thank You' is on its way to you. I hope that you find that as useful as I have found these tanks.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Excellent score! When Operation Barbarossa morphs into the Strategic Offensive on Berlin, the later vehicles will no doubt come into their own. :-) One can always find stabling for a gift horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      It was an excellent gift ... and as you comment, it will allow me to fight the war from 1941 to 1945 without too many problems arising.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. That's quite the haul - well done Bob. Mr. Dury is indeed a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat G,

      Ian Dury is a very nice chap, and his gift was most gratefully received.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.