Pages

Thursday 28 April 2016

Some interesting things were delivered whilst we were away

Some time ago I ordered a book and a game online, and expected them to be delivered after Sue and I returned from our cruise. Both products were released earlier than I expected, and as a result the book was waiting for me when we got home, and the game was at the local post office distribution office awaiting collection.

The book was one of Osprey's latest publications, IMPERIAL CHINESE ARMIES 1840-1911.


It was written by Philip S Jowett and illustrated by Gerry Embleton and is No.505 in the 'Men-at-Arms' series (ISBN 978 1 4728 1427 2). It is divided into a number of chapters with the following titles:
  • Introduction
  • Conflicts with external enemies
  • The Armies
  • Character of the Imperial Army
  • Weapons
  • Uniforms & Equipment
This book fills a niche in my collection and will hopefully spur me to sorting out the small collection of Chinese figures that i have in my collection of 15mm-scale wargames figures.

The game was AIRFIX BATTLES by Modiphius.

(This image is taken from their website. © Modiphius)

I bought this game for a number of reasons, including:
  • Nostalgia: Like so many wargamers of my generation, my first 'proper' wargames were fought using Airfix figures and tanks, and buying this game seemed to be the obvious thing to do.
  • Interest in the period: I grew up with stories about the Second World War, and it has always been one of my wargaming areas of interest. For this reason I seem - over the years - to have collected quite a few sets of rules etc. and if for no other reason than that, I wanted a copy of this game.
  • Interesting design features: I have met one of the designers at COW (Wargame Development's annual Conference of Wargamers) and he has promised to demonstrate the game at this year's conference. As I know that he designs games with interesting features and mechanisms, it struck me that having a look at the game before the conference might be a good idea.
I have yet to take the components out of the box and to use them ... but rest assured that when I do, I will write a blog entry about my play-test.

8 comments:

  1. Both items you have written about interest me, the Osprey looks very useful as does the Airfix set. Please do post a review when you play the game, so far I can find out little about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solo wargaming-on a budget!

      The book fills a particular niche in my collection and covers a period of Chinese military history that interests me.

      I fully expect to write a review of AIRFIX BATTLES in the very near future ... so keep reading my blog!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I bought the book recently and i am embarked on a new 54mm army of AIP Boxers and converted Hing at pirates supplemented by Pirates of the Caribbean Chinese pirates and Italeri Mongols as irregular cavalry, using Paul Wright's campaign book army lists. More modernized Chinese I'll be converting from ACW and various ACW types. One of the figures on the cover looks like he has a sailor hat so he could be converted from AIP sailors. Early 20th century cavalry could easily be converted from British WW1 cavalry and infantry from AIP Japanese.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James O'Connell,

      Those are some excellent suggestions for relatively simple conversions ... and are equally applicable to smaller scale figures as well.

      Thank you for sharing them with us.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Does the Osprey tell you anything that Ian Heath's "Armies of the 19th Century - Asia -China" published by Foundry doesn't?

    Clearly interested as this covers the Taiping period and the 2nd "Opium" War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trebian,

      The short answer to your question is 'No, it doesn't!'. Its only real advantage is its colour plates, but if you already have Ian Heath's book, then buying this is an indulgence ... so I indulged myself!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I might have a look at one at a show and decide if I need glossy pictures or not....we all like glossy pictures, don't we?

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.