Pages

Tuesday 15 December 2015

Britannia's Spartan: The Dawlish Chronicles: June 1859 and April - August 1882

Antoine Vanner has just published the fourth book in his ongoing series about Nicholas Dawlish, a Royal Navy officer. It is entitled BRITANNIA'S SPARTAN: THE DAWLISH CHRONICLES: JUNE 1859 AND APRIL - AUGUST 1882 (ISBN 978 1 9434 0404 9), and is both on sale in paperback and Kindle versions. (I have bought both as I want to own a printed copy of the book as well as an electronic version.)


This book is set in the far East, and begins with an excellent description of Admiral Hope's attempt to take the Taku Forts in 1859, and Midshipman Dawlish's part in the failed attack. The narrative then switches to 1882, when the newly promoted Captain Dawlish has just taken command of HMS Leonidas, a new cruiser, and the first of her class to be commissioned.

I will not include any 'spoilers' in this blog entry as I am sure that some of my regular readers will enjoy reading this book for themselves, but suffice it to say that the main action takes place in and around the Korean Peninsula at a time when both China and Japan were vying with each other for control of the area.

This is an excellent read, and follows on from the previous books in the series:
  • BRITANNIA'S WOLF: THE DAWLISH CHRONICLES: SEPTEMBER 1877 – FEBRUARY 1878
  • BRITANNIA'S REACH: THE DAWLISH CHRONICLES: NOVEMBER 1879 – APRIL 1880
  • BRITANNIA'S SHARK: THE DAWLISH CHRONICLES: APRIL 1881 – SEPTEMBER 1881

2 comments:

  1. I finished it last night. Really good book. I left a review on Amazon. I am really looking forward to reading these for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William McHarg,

    I am about halfway through the book ... and I am enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the earlier books. Like you, I hope to read more in the future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.