Pages

Sunday 17 August 2014

Out of the Shed: 1:1200th-scale model warship kits

The crates I took out of the now-defunct shed are still providing me with lots of surprises, and the latest was the discovery of a large number of unmade 1:1200th-scale model warships.

Besides a lot of other kits (more of which will feature in a forthcoming blog entry), I found the following model warships in the crate:
  • 4 x Revell Miniships Roma-class Battleships
  • 9 x Revell Miniships HMS King George V-class Battleships
  • 1 x Airfix HMS Ark Royal-class Aircraft Carrier
  • 2 x Airfix HMS Suffolk-class Heavy Cruisers
  • 3 x Eaglewall HMS Norfolk-class Heavy Cruisers
  • 2 x Lindberg USS Houston-class Light Cruisers
  • 8 x Airfix HMS Cossack-class Destroyers
I already have several unmade kits of some of the warships listed above, and this means that I could easily indulge my desire to build significantly large fleets of warships for Fletcher Pratt naval wargames ... should I so desire it.

10 comments:

  1. The Eaglewall kits may be worth serious money to a collector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wg Cdr Luddite,

    I suspect that you are right ... but over the year the boxes have rotted away and I think that will affect their value.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,

    That is a haul and a half and no mistake! I am curious to know what you will do with 9 x KGV though - as I recall the denizen of the South Yorkshire shipyard was regaling us with tales of the umpteen 1/1200th scale Scharnhorst kits he had so perhaps it is a WD thing!

    Lots of potential though and the Eaglewall stuff (as the good Wg Cdr rightly points out) would be highly valued methinks.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Crook,

    I bought the KGVs when I saw them on sale in a local toy shop for 75p each. They were such a bargain that I could not resist them!

    Some will probably end up as KGVs; the rest will probably end up being 'kit bashed' into something else. For example, the quadruple turrets could be used the arm a scratch-built French battleship ... or several.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hulls could be the basis for a bunch of great builds.

    I am currently in the 'procurement phase' for some 1:1200 scale pre-dreadnought flotillas myself

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul oftheManCave,

    I converted a KGV into a Lion-class battleship some time ago, and I suppose that I could build some more ... or even one of the hybrid battleship-carriers that were projected.

    Good luck with your pre-dreadnought project. I have a few 1:1200th-scale pre-dreadnoughts in my collection and would love to expand it at some time in the future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim Gow,

    Very useful indeed ... especially as I already have quite a pile of unmade 1:1200th-scale kits sitting in another storage box.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know, I've made two French battleships using bits of the KGV kit, but the bridge structure is also useful for scratchbuilding modernised Warspite class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ian Drury,

    I don't think that I have seen your two French battleships ... and I look forward to doing so in order to get a few ideas for my own conversions.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.