Pages

Sunday 19 August 2012

It took nearly a month to get here, but ...

At the beginning of July I ordered a whole lot of MEMOIR '44 stuff over the Internet. Most of it arrived within a matter of days, but the pack of 'Breakthrough' Terrain Boards did not. I waited ... and waited ... and waited ... and just before I went on my latest cruise I contacted the company that I ordered the boards from to find why they had not been delivered.

They assured me that the terrain boards had been posted to me on 17th July, and they could not understand why they had not been delivered. We mutually agreed that I would wait until I returned from my cruise before taking the matter further.

It was very pleasing to find that the boards had been delivered whilst I had been on my cruise ... but it would appear that they had only just arrived before I got back ... nearly a month after they should have been delivered!

There was no indication on the packaging as to why it had taken the Post Office so long to deliver the parcel containing the terrain boards, but I understand from my neighbours that postal deliveries were more than usually erratic during the period of the Olympic Games.


The terrain boards will allow me to stage much larger MEMOIR '44 battles (and battles on the boards using my own rules) as they are nearly twice the size of the standard terrain boards. There are in fact two double-sided terrain boards in the set:
  • Countryside
  • Beach
  • Winter
  • Desert
The pack also contains a booklet with 15 'Breakthrough' scenarios specially designed for use with these larger terrain boards, including Operation Crusader and Operation Amherst).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    That is one for the collection and no mistake! Interested in the Crusader scenario for sure.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    The terrain boards have lots of potential uses with both BATTLE CRY and C&C as well as MEMOIR '44 and my own rules.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,

    Long time reader, first time poster :)

    I recently picked up the Battles of Westeros board game, it's taken from the Battlelore series but adds to me anyway some interesting elements to the series for morale and uses a D8... not played yet but am blaming the clubs trend tostada 40k to get more people to come along.

    Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaun McTague,

    Thanks for making the first of what I hope will be many comments.

    I don't own either BATTLELORE or the WESTEROS games, but I understand that they are very close cousins of BATTLE CRY and MEMOIR '44... and I have been tempted to buy them because of that fact alone!

    I think that Richard Borg's basic game mechanisms are simple but effective, and I can imagine that WESTEROS will be an excellent game. Good luck with it when you get around to trying it out. I doubt if you will be disappointed.

    By the way, the use of a D8 and the introduction of morale rules sounds interesting. I will try to find out more about these developments!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.