Pages

Saturday 21 July 2012

Memoir '44 Expansion Sets

I recently ordered several of the expansion sets for MEMOIR '44, and part of the order was delivered today. I bought ...

Eastern Front



This set contains:
  • 42 Russian soldiers
  • 24 T-34 tanks
  • 6 ZIS-3 guns
  • A Political Commissar chip marker
  • 44 double-sided Terrain tiles
  • 10 round markers
  • 4 obstacles
  • 14 Special Unit badges
  • A booklet that contains new, additional rules and eight historical scenarios
Pacific Theatre



This set contains:
  • 48 Japanese infantrymen
  • 12 Type 95 Ha-Go light tanks
  • 6 Type 98 75mm anti-aircraft guns
  • 44 double-sided Terrain tiles
  • 10 round markers
  • 4 obstacles
  • 14 Special Unit badges
  • A night attack visibility chart
  • A booklet that contains new, additional rules and eight historical scenarios
Winter/Desert Board Map


This is a double-sided board map with Winter (i.e. snow covered) terrain on one side and Desert (i.e. sand) terrain on the other.

I am still awaiting delivery of the Breakthrough board maps. This set contains two double-sided board maps that are 13 hexes x 17 hexes (the normal boards are 9 hexes x 13 hexes), and which cover all the terrain types used in MEMOIR '44 (i.e. Countryside, Beach, Winter, and Desert). These larger boards will enable me to fight somewhat larger battles.

I have only had time today to have a cursory look at what I have bought ... but it looks like it has lots of potential and should enhance my existing MEMOIR '44 collection.

8 comments:

  1. I have them too Bob and very versatile they are mot just for memoir 44 games. Also have the airwar expansion which gives you 4 aircraft

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johntheone,

    I suspect that the bits and pieces (especially the boards) will get lots of use for both Memoir '44 battles and ones using my own rules.

    I might have considered buying the Air War expansion set if I could have found a copy on sale in the UK.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Russian set is great. Love teh Russian command rule. Play the Stalingrad scenario some time if you have an opponent; it's a great game that really lets the M44 rules show through.

    I've not bothered with the Pacific one as it's not a theatre which interests me (even despite my now living in it :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaptain Kobold,

    Thanks for the recommendation. As one of my projects is to fight an Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War campaign, I am hoping that that supplement will be a step towards achieving that.

    Likewise Tim Gow and I have discussed an island-hopping campaign, and the Pacific supplement may prove useful with that potential project.

    All the bet,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the quick review. I have been thinking of getting some of these sets for a while now and now I think I shall have to!

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luke Hunter,

    I am please that I could be of help. I certainly think that I will get my money's worth from them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also recommend the Eastern Front rules. The Russian command mechanics got me to thinking of new ways to apply it, possibly in a Great War Memoir context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul Leach,

    Thanks for the recommendation.

    I have yet to read through the booklet in any detail, but a cursory glance indicated that some of the new rules it includes are well worth using.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.