Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Pre-Megablitz Memories

Before Tim Gow began the process of designing his MEGABLITZ rule system, Tim, Chris Willey, and I tried wargaming with Chris Kemp's NOT QUITE MECHANISED (NQM) to see if we could use the rules without needing Chris Kemp to explain how the various elements of his rules worked.

This battle was set up in what was then the Table Tennis room at Knuston Hall during a COW (Conference of Wargamers) session when we were all free. The scenario involved a Soviet attack on Finnish positions during the Winter War, and from what I can remember Chris Willey provided all the Finnish troops whilst Tim and I provided the Soviet ones.

The game took place so long ago that I only have the vaguest memories of how the battle unfolded, but what did emerge was the fact that we all felt that NQM worked best when Chris Kemp was available to explain the nuances of some of the rules ... and that we also felt that we could enhance them with a little bit of additional effort on our part.

I did take some photographs of the battle ... using a 35mm Practika SLR camera (this was so long ago that it was pre-digital camera ... and some!). I found the box containing these photographs (along with a lot of other that I will share with my regular blog readers over the forthcoming weeks) during my recent sort-out ... and here is a selection of them.






6 comments:

  1. This was in fact the famous (in select circles) "Game with no Name". I have photos of this too - probably copies of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Gow,

    You may well have copies of the same, rather out-of-focus images (Weren't some cameras difficult to use in those days?).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason best know to itself, Blogger managed to delete the following message from Chris Kemp:

    Wow! Vintage gold there, Bob. I remember seeing the game and being impressed, but very little else, except Chris Willey's Finns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris Kemp,

    I don't know what happened to those Finns ... although I suspect that Tim Gow may have a good idea where they ended up!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I know Chris W still has his Finns. I still have all the Soviet vehicles in the photos - and indeed the Sov infantry you (Bob) painted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim Gow,

    Very interesting!. I thought that Chris Willey had passed the Finns on to you. I wonder if he still has them?

    It is great to think that the tanks and infantry are still seeing active service in the tabletop.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.