Pages

Wednesday 9 November 2011

You are never too old for puzzles ...

My wife and I have had a rather busy and sometimes very difficult time over the past few weeks, and we have tried to keep our spirits up by buying each other small and unexpected treats every so often. Today my wife bought me a puzzle ... and it kept me amused and diverted for over an hour.

The puzzle took the form of an aircraft carrier and a load of tiny model aircraft. The aircraft carrier took me about ten minutes to put together, but the aircraft were much more fiddly and they took a lot longer to assemble.


I must admit that this is not something that I would have bought myself ... but I am glad that my wife bought it for me. As I was making the various parts of the puzzle I kept thinking of wargaming applications that they could be put to. For example, a carrier vs. carrier game where real damage could be inflicted on a carrier that was caught undefended.

If other types of warship were available the models would be ideal for a Fletcher Pratt-style naval wargame fought on a large floor, but with the proviso that navies could only field those ships that they could assemble from scratch within a certain time ... and that time would not be very long! Perhaps this could be a game for a future COW (Conference of Wargamers)?

8 comments:

  1. Bob,
    I dont know if you are interested,but whilst getting things packed for my house move, I have found 10 painted Spencer Smith syw hussars, and 9 painted syw British dragoons.You can have them if you want.
    Drop me a line at
    robbie3rodiss@msn.com with your address and I will send you them.It might cheer you up a tad.
    Thanks Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod3rod,

    Thanks for your very kind offer. I will be in contact with my contact details later this evening or tomorrow morning.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like your "construct a fleet" idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conrad Kinch,

    The only problem is finding suitable models.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son was given this as a present and the two of us had great fun constructing it - afterwards we played some rudimentary but very fun air battles using his polka dot bedroom carpet as a movement grid - good times.

    As an aside, I have had heaps of fun with your Bundok & Bayonet rules over the years and still play them sometimes. I've also enjoyed your blog immensely and have finally started one myself called "Small & Speedy Soldier Games". Thanks for the fun and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yantantethera,

    Simple, spur-of-the-moment games like the one you describe are often the ones we remember best.

    Many thanks for your kind words about my Bundok & Bayonet rules, and I am pleased to hear that you still enjoy using them. I am also glad to hear that you enjoy reading my blog and that you have started your own (which I intend to read as soon as I can).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bob

    I think this is a brilliant idea and a great thought starter.

    Take plan and side views of warships, to a certain scale, then cut and paste them to Lego blocks.

    Remove blocks as per hit results. Ships may break in two, or whatever, until they are sunk.

    Chip at the old block...

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arthur,

    That is quite some idea ... and well worth investigating further. I shall add it to my list of potential ideas for wargames!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.