Pages

Thursday 19 May 2011

Just when I thought that nothing else could go wrong at work ...

I only have thirty six days left ... and I thought that by now I would be able to begin winding down ... but every time I think that, something else happens!

Today the NSS reared its ugly head again! Almost all of the work done by the students has been revised, re-written, and undergone considerable change ... and I have been assessing and re-assessing each piece at every twist and turn of the process.

As a result, the work is complete; it is also a complete mess ... and I have been tasked with sorting it out ... by 4.00pm! This does not just mean making sure that it is all in the right order; if that was the case, the work would take me a matter of minutes. What I have to do is to sort the work out into the correct order, renumber all the pages in that order, check that the correct annotations for the assessment criteria have been made, and fill in the four page record sheet for each student. The latter involves cross-referencing the assessment criteria to the pages that contain the evidence for those criteria.

Simple ... and very time-consuming. My last class ends at 2.15pm, which means that I will have about ninety minutes to do about five hours work.

It has been another great day in the world of education ... but as I wrote at the beginning of this blog entry, I now only have thirty six days to go. Roll on 15th July!

PS. If you are wondering why I am spending time writing this blog entry and not actually starting this onerous task, the answer is very simple; I am still waiting for the last few pieces of work to be printed off by the students, after which I should be able to start.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, joy! What a frabjous day, eh?


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you ...
    take care
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep smiling Bob - it'll be over soon. I'm sure that if they'd just let us get on and teach instead of filling out bits of paper, the little blighters might actually make the progress they're capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bluebear Jeff,

    It was not the best day I have had recently ... and I suspect that tomorrow is not going to be much better.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,

    Thanks; I am going to need it!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tradgardmastare,

    I finally finished what I had to do at 9.00pm! I worked from 2.30pm until they wanted to lock up the building at 6.00pm, drove home, had a quick drink and something to eat, and carried on until it was finished.

    What is really annoying is the person who wants this done by tomorrow morning went home at 4.30pm ... and I know that when I hand it over, whatever I have done is not going to be right.

    36 days and counting!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jfidz,

    The NSS has been occupying my teaching and non-teaching time for weeks, if not months ... and I have been trying to 'get it right' and teach normally as well.

    The fact that my students have made any progress at all has been a bit of a miracle.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Conrad Kinch,

    Merda taurorum omnia vincit

    (My Latin is bit rusty, but I think I got it reasonably correct!)

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lead Gardens has a post trying out your new rules:

    http://littlejohnslead.blogspot.com/2011/05/having-go-with-hexes.html


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bluebear Jeff,

    By pure coincidence, I was visiting the 'Lead Gardens' website as your comment arrived!

    Spooky ... or what?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teaching is a labor of love...even though administrators work hard to make it other than that...good luck with your students as they are what's important in the end.

    From one teacher to another, Bon Chance my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Littlejohn,

    Many thanks for your kind words. I must admit, I would have given up teaching some time ago had it not been for my students who - despite the problems that they sometimes give me - are worth all the effort I make to help them.

    As you say, it is the administrators who make teaching difficult (if not impossible) at times.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. By the way, have you noticed how many people who make comments about my blog entries are teachers or are involved in education in some way?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.