Pages

Wednesday 3 February 2010

More books for my shelves!

Last weekend I made one of my periodic trips to the local branch of Waterstone's and bought two books from the Osprey CAMPAIGN series.

The first was LENINGRAD 1941-44 by Robert Forczyk and Peter Dennis (Osprey CAMPAIGN series No. 215 [ISBN 978 1 84603 441 1]).

I have visited Leningrad/St Petersburg twice in the last two years and although it is difficult to see some of the places mentioned in the book, I was able to see the Aurora and visit both the Peterhof Summer Palace, which is located on the coast to the west of Leningrad/St Petersburg, and the Catherine Palace near Pushkin, which is to the south of the city.

The second book was THE SIX DAY WAR 1967: JORDAN AND SYRIA by Simon Dunstan and Peter Dennis (Osprey CAMPAIGN Series No. 216 [ISBN 978 1 84603 364 3]).

I was 17 when 'The Six Day War' broke out, and like a large number of my friends I was stunned and amazed by the speed with which the Israeli Armed Forces were able to achieve such decisive victories over their opponents in such a short time. The battle in the Sinai and the capture of Jerusalem were well covered by the newspapers and TV at the time, but less mention was made of the fighting that took place elsewhere. I am hoping that after all these years this book will enlighten me as to what actually happened during the fighting to the north and east of Israel.

4 comments:

  1. It is strange that certain periods are generally overlooked by wargamers. While WW2 and Vietnam appear very popular, I've never heard of or seen anyone play Arab-Israeli or Korean battles (i.e. Korea in the 50's - not ancients).

    Similarly Napoleonics is huge, but between 1815 and the 'colonial' wars, again there is a dip (despite the fact that some major engagements - such as the Crimean war - took place at the time.

    I'd have thought that the Arab - Israeli would be a great wargaming challenge. Smaller but more technologically advanced army taking on multiple larger armies - tanks, artillery, aircraft...it seems to have the lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil B,

    Funnily enough I have fought battels from both the Korean and Arab-Israeli Wars (1956 and 1967). What I liked was the ability to use WW2 weapons systems (or modernised versions thereof) in small-scale conflicts.

    In fact, both the Korean and Arab-Israeli Wars would be ideal conflicts for the 'Modern' version of Morschauser.

    Now there is an idea ...

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that these periods are a bit overlooked. I have a Korea project on the back burner (actually I thing the gas has gone out...) and I've played loads of Arab-Israeli games. About 10 years ago I ran the 1967 Sinai campaign (all of it) as a Megablitz game. I really must write it up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    I look forward to reading about your refight of the 1967 Sinai campaign. I think that I saw some pictures of the game (or were they of one of Martin's games?) but cannot remember where or when.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.