Pages

Saturday 14 February 2009

Another traffic jam ... another re-think ...

I managed to sort out and setup the terrain for the parallel play-test I planned to run on Thursday, but pressure of work means that I have not yet been able to run the play-test. However the extra time has given me the opportunity to have another re-think about the amended combat rules I intend to test.

Whilst sitting in the inevitable traffic jam on the way to work on Friday my thoughts turned to the combat results I proposed to use. As my play-tests are almost always solo affairs, I like to make as many of the decisions 'automatic' as possible. In other words, to create game mechanisms that only allow a few decision-making options. It struck me that my proposed combat results contained 'either ... or' options that could be eliminated ... so I have eliminated them. The combat results now read as follows:

Firing
  • If firing stand’s score is lower, fire has been ineffective.
  • If the firing stand and target stand scores are equal, each stand throws a D12 and the stand with the lowest score reduces its points value by one.
  • If target stand’s score is less than the firing stand’s score but more than half the firing stand’s score, the target stand reduces its points value by one.
  • If target stand’s score is less than half the firing stand’s score, the target stand withdraws until it is one hex away from the nearest enemy stand and reduces its points value by one.
Hand-to-Hand
  • If attacking stand’s score is lower, Hand-to-Hand Combat has been ineffective.
  • If the attacking stand and defending stand scores are equal, each stand throws a D12 and the stand with the lowest score reduces its points value by one.
  • If defending stand’s score is less than the attacking stand’s score but more than half the attacking stand’s score, the defending stand reduces its points value by one.
  • If defending stand’s score is less than half the attacking stand’s score, the defending stand withdraws until it is one hex away from the nearest enemy stand and reduces its points value by one.
These new combat results strike me as being much simpler and easier to remember during a wargame. It will be interesting to see how they work during the play-test.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.